photo botslide.jpg

Chocolate Log

Monday 8 September 2014


I'll be honest, I didn't just wake up and think "I'm going to make a chocolate log today!" It actually happened that I was watching Come Dine With Me (a cooky but worryingly addictive tv show for those of you who don't know), and of course a swiss roll was served for dessert. I didn't even try to subdue my immediate cravings, I just headed straight for the Edmonds cookbook.

I usually buy these angelic cakes from the bakery section in the supermarket (nothing can beat the fake cream and superficial sponge), but it was about time I picked up that spatula *insert cooking weapon of your choice* and got to it. You will need.

For the sponge:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup plain baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water

And for the garnishing...
- cream (as much or as little as need - I'd go for 300mls to be safe)
- chocolate shavings

Berry Sauce
- tablespoon of water
- 2-3 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 3/4 frozen berries

Really just go crazy with the top.

Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick (I was quite confused as to what "thick" was - not fluffy, just stir it and you will know). Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder together. Add to egg mixture. Add butter and water.

Pour mixture into a greased and line 20x30cm sponge roll tin. Bake at 190oC for 10-12 minute or until cake springs back when lightly touched.

*This is where I ditched the cookbook so will take over from now*

Spread icing sugar over the sponge and seriously spread it, not just sift. Then flip it onto a sheet of baking paper/greaseproof paper. Spread cream (or ganache would be nice!), and then gently roll it. Leave the baking paper on it. I'll be honest, I completely failed this step and this is why extra cream is always a good concealer. Refrigerate for....um....some time. Doesn't matter too much.

I topped the log with cream, icing sugar and berry sauce. To make: add water, icing sugar and berries in a saucepan and stir. Super easy!

I would LOVE to know if you bods tried this, if you are going to, if you are allergic to sponge, or if you don't even know what one is (you do now). Seriously, comment below! Haha.

Smile God loves you (:

X

2 comments:

  1. You just had to show these pictures... Right now I became so hungry and would eat the whole cake. It looks delicious. Great post and keep up the good work.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that happens to me all the time :P Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme